Contextual event ,in simple terms is a way to communicate between taskflows.
Sometimes we have taskflow open in a region and have to get some values from that taskflow .
This scenario can be achieved by contextual event.
Contextual Event have two parts-
- Publisher Event (Producer)- As button or any component that can raise event
- Handler Event (Customer)- that listens and process event published by producer
This tutorial is based on example developed on default HR schema of Oracle DB 11g
I have created two application and called first one in secod application as region.
- Create first application using Department table of HR schema and drag Department Name on page fragment, now create publisher event (follow steps) for Department Name .
- Select Department Name field in structure window and go to property Inspector select ContextualEventclick on green add icon and select event type and name for publisher event
- Select field value from Iterator Binding
- here you are done with publisher event or producer create a jar of this application in order to use it in second application.
- Now start Second Application that will handle and process this event, create a page and put an output text and set its value from managed bean
- Now create a event handler class to process published event and to make it available to page binding level , we have to create DataControl for this class.
- Right click on event class and Click on CreateDataControl.
- Now add this method binding to page so that it can be accessible from page binding
- Now go to page binding and goto ContextualEvents tab ,click on subscribers tab and click on add icon this will open a popup window ,click on search button , it will show available publisher event, now select event and goto handler search option and select function that you have previously added in page binding
- Give consumer parameter name same as event handler function
Now Run your Application - Download ADF Sample Application