SOAP stands for Simple Object Access Protocol, a protocol to exchange information in XML format between two applications over HTTP. This protocol is used to create ,access and consume web services.
SOA (Service Oriented Architecture) focuses on re-usability and exposing application module as web service makes it's methods and objects accessible from any device , any platform and these methods and objects can be further used by any other application
In ADF 12.2.1 we can create a SOAP web service within seconds , See how to configure Application Module to expose it's methods and objects to service interface
- Created a Fusion Web Application using Departments and Employees table of HR Schema
- Open Application Module and Web Service tab, there is a separate tab for SOAP , click on green plus icon
- In Step 1 we can set Web Service Name and Target Namespace, Also enable option to generate asynchronous methods, by default it supports synchronous service methods .
Read in detail check this - Creating SOAP Web Services with Application Modules
- In Step 2 we can expose some built in methods and in Step 3 if we have any custom methods defined in Application Module then we can expose these methods to service interface.
Here i have created a simple method in AMImpl to get department name from it's id and exposed this method in service
- In Step 4 select viewObject that we want to expose and their methods , i have selected both Departments and Employees viewObject and enabled operation for both
For Departments ViewObject -
- Click on Finish to create service interface and all required files
- Now to run and check web service , Expand Application Module root and there is a service implementation java class SoapWebServServiceImpl.java , Right click on this and choose Run
- On running you'll see an URL in weblogic log tab, click on that url it will open HTTP Analyzer tool and there you'll see list of all operation , here i have selected GetByKey operation of Departments viewObject
- Again i selected create operation for Departments viewObject and provided all parameters and click Send Request button
- This time i am checking custom method defined in application module to get Department Name
and result in database table
All Done :) Sample ADF Application-Download
Cheers :) Happy Learning